07 November 2006

feel like a swim?

Man on Deserted BoardwalkYou wouldn't think there was anywhere in New York as unpeopled as Coney Island in wintertime. Iz and I were out there (to consider the fish at the New York Aquarium) and the stark loveliness of the boardwalk was staggering in its windswept emptiness. If you've ever seen the movie Pi, you'll know the scene where Max gets off the train at the end of the line, at Coney Island at the wrong time of year, and you'll have a sense of what this place can be like.

This startled me because I've always thought I hated Coney Island. In the summer the place a horrible mess, with far more people than any beachfront can reasonably support. Trying to find a space big enough to spread a beach towel is a challenge, and the New York sun is hot and unrelenting. There's sand, and a boardwalk, but most of Coney Island is paved. Blacktop in the summer is not precisely my idea of fun (though it is something of a cherished urban experience here nonetheless).

Long ShadowsIn more autumnal or even wintry weather, though, I begin to see what made this place the entertainment hotspot of New York City. The artificial wavebreaks, piles of rocks and concrete meant to keep an undertow from sucking children out into the Atlantic, become more jagged in this weather, more reminiscent of the west coast. Empty rollercoasters and bumpercar parks seem worse for their lack of people (even though I know I hate the summertime crowds). And the beach really is lovely, a thing I never noticed in the mass of people--and their junk--in a more favorable season.

Emptiness at Coney IslandI guess I like that which is solitary (or nearly so--a friend or two is always welcome to come along on my adventures). More than anything, one forgets the perpetual noise of the City when one lives here; if I stop to think, I note that I hear now cars, karaoke, somebody playing the guitar in the apartment across the way--but these are incidental, just background noises to which I pay no attention. Coney Island has in the past magnified the noise and made it noticeable again: the people screaming on the Cyclone roller coaster, the shrieks of thousands of children when the waves roll in, boom boxes and break dancers and people hawking T-shirts, batting cages and bumper cars and thrill rides. This time round, too, Coney Island again made me notice sound--but this time, it was primarily in its absence.

4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger blackcrag said...

I get that feeling everytime I leave the city--any city. Especially when I visit my parents' rural beachfront home.

All the other, everyday sounds are overlaid by silence. It is very peaceful.

Also like you, I like being alone in places that are noramlly crowded. It gives you room to breathe and think.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger zee said...

that is such a common among ppl in cities....

cities are gr8, but there comes a point where u just have to get out of the hustle and bustle, away from the noise, away from the people. u just want to be alone so u can....think.

nice post;)

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures convey the solitude so well... nice

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, 2nd article in a row sporting the usage "autumnal". Long past I wondered about the silent "n" on autumn. I suppose I've never thought "autumnal" formed as other than a suffixation of "autumn" (if i thought about it at all) but now it occurs to me I may have it reversed: Could "autumn" be a backformation of "autumnal"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home