29 August 2006

three operas in three days

Last week, I went to three operatic performances. That's right. Three.

Yeah, I'm young and hip.

I've posted about opera once before. I am firmly convinced that it's the next big thing, or at least, that it should be. We all think of opera as this staid and boring Classical Music experience, with the capital C and capital M and stuffy old men and fat singing ladies with horns and viking helmets (which, you've got to admit, is actually a pretty cool costume). Truth is, there is some "high" opera which you have to be a connosieur to appreciate--I'd put Wagner in this bunch--but most of it is very low-brow and rousingly populist when you actually get into the nitty-gritty of it. Mozart's best operas are comic love triangles full of infidelity, attempted affairs, and mistaken identities (Figaro, for example). He's got tales of a couple of men running around after the girls of their dreams (The Magic Flute), too, as well as the great Don Juan story in which, in high operatic form, we are regaled by a cataloque of the title character's many--2,065--conquests (that's Don Giovanni). Bizet's great opera Carmen is about a woman who seduces a military corporal, causing him to commit mutiny and ultimately to join a band of smugglers. Enter love interest # 2! Carmen leaves the former military man--now ruined--for a bullfighter. In a very soap-opera twist, man # 2 unknowingly tells man # 1 that his current girl had an affair with a soldier. Soldier-man is irate, and vows to kill Carmen, which he does. Nobody's happy! Yippee! End of opera. Or there's Verdi: Aida is about an Egyptian soldier who loves an Ethiopian slave and has to choose between her and his duties to the Pharaoh. Oh, and did I mention that, in the meantime, the Pharaoh's daughter is in love with him? Or take La Triviata, which is about a wild courtesan who--gasp!--falls in love with someone! This causes much difficulty, as his dad doesn't approve of the match (obviously). She leaves the guy ("to protect him"), he publicly shames her by throwing money at her ("for services rendered" while they lived together!), and then in the end he realizes she always loved him after all. But she dies anyhow.

As the World Turns, you've got nothing on me.

It's not just lurid plotlines and complicated relationships that should get anybody who watched The OC or One Tree Hill into an opera house, though. It's also the fact that the music really is rousing. I mean, we all hum opera music already, because it's in every car commercial ever invented. Do you need more of an indication that it's catchy and memorable?

And there's lighting, and staging, and all that other stuff, too.

It baffles me that we all pay $60 or $80 a pop to go see a show on Broadway--great fun, I agree--but nobody under 70 pays the exact same amount to see an equally awesome show at the Met or the New York City Opera. The opera is the musical of the 17th century. The two genres should really be in direct competition with each other, drawing from the same audience pool. But somehow, we've managed to make opera seem decidedly unfun. Um, that's silly.

To be sure, both the Met and the Opera NYC now have super-cheap tickets available for young folks. This is great. There's a concerted effort going on to get new people into opera, and I applaud that. But it is still the case that opera takes itself altogether too seriously. The marketing ploy shouldn't be, "Here I have this elite thing, and you too can learn about it and show off how cultured you are by talking about Aida and leaving your ticket stubs lying around your apartment." Most opera is very fun and often quite funny as well, surprisingly accessible, and quite catchy. The marketing ploy should be, "Nobody ever told you you'd like it, did they? Cuz you will." As it is, I think our opera production companies here in New York are appealing to young folks who want to appear a certain way, instead of to young folks who might actually, genuinely like opera.

4 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger blackcrag said...

I always tell myself I should go see more theatre. What little I have seen so far, I have enjoyed.

But opera doesn't attract me. Not because of it's stuffiness, and assumed elitism, but because I don't understand what's being sung.

Gilbert & Sullivan's operettas, however, are right up my alley. I understand what's going on, and it's satirical when it's no being out right funny.

But if you are developing or exercising an interest in opera... good for you!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Skay said...

I think I've got the great benefit of the New York opera circuit, Crag, where full productions feature simultaneous translation. It's kind of funny, even in very serious scenes, to realize that what's being said is often:

X: Hello!
Y: Hello.
X: What a nice day it is!
Y: Yes it is.
X: It is.
Y: It is.
X: Were you at the party yesterday? I did not see you?
Y: No, I had to wash my hair.

Etc. Gilbert & Sullivan is great, I agree. But I suspect if it were easier to know what was going on, we'd really enjoy other, foreign-language operas and operettas, too.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Panic said...

I saw Don Giovanni in Prague a couple of years ago (at the theater where it debuted many years ago). I had read a synopsis of the opera before, so I knew what was basically going on. I didn't get any simultaneous translation, and you know what? I actually liked it that way. It allowed me to focus on the music. It seems to be that in opera (unlike musical theater and operettas) the plot, characters, and dialogue are just an excuse for the music. It's purely a musical form of art, and to hell with the particulars of the story.

Alfred Hitchcock once said that when you're watching a great film, you should be able to to turn off the sound and still be able to follow what's happening. Perhaps the same is true for simultaneous translation and opera?

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother Alfred made his way to Europe aboard a freighter with an Italian crew a few decades back. In port, these ordinary seamen dragged him to the Baths of Caracalla where he found himself in the standee area surrounded by laborers mouthing the words by heart and tearing up at the sad parts. Opera, yes, but, for Italians at least, pop as well. The work, of course, was in their native tongue, but if people the world over can appreciate English language pop in a myriad of genres, then maybe elitist marketing is a limiting factor for popularity in America.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home