20 December 2005

Work, work, work

The problem with working is... well... that you have to work. Even when you don't want to.

Being young and new to my job, I get the worst schedule while others take time off. (Seniority does buy you something, even in the most profit-driven companies around.) I will be working through Friday, and then again from the following Tuesday. Over here it's Christmastime, though, and I happen to be one of those who celebrate Christmas. Of course, normal responsible adults work such schedules (unless they are lucky enough to be self-employed and solvent, teachers, or members of Congress), but this is my first Christmas in the normal adult world. I'm not sure I like it. Give me the six-week-long vacations of my college days!

Quite seriously, I'd like to see a large company that gives well-considered, universally-applicable time off (whether at Christmastime or not is relatively unimportant). The French get three weeks in the summer (or, at least, this is a French ideal). Small businesses close their doors when the owners go away. In Brooklyn, whole neighborhoods close shop for Rosh Hashana. There is space in this time for relaxing, for cultural activities, for life outside of work. Perhaps this is not competitive, but it is human--and I suspect it doesn't actually cut the competitive edge so much anyway.

So here is a resolution: If ever I start a company that becomes a giant success--not likely, I confess--I'm going to simply close the doors for a week or two every year. All employees get the time off. Paid? Okay. It might mean that salaries are a little lower. But at least there's no pressure. You haven't shunted your work off onto someone else while on vacation, and you aren't behind when you return. Simply, the work ceases to exist, and we all go on vacation.

How wildly implausible is this?

1 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger blackcrag said...

I love the way you think, Skay. Let's start a revolution based on this principle. I see your transit strike is over. I hope you weren't too inconvenienced by it.

Have a great Christmas, or other winter festival of your choice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home