21 October 2005

What you want, When you want it

There exists in New York an amazing culture of delivery.

My groceries come, boxed and bagged, frozed and cushioned and wrapped, to my door at any hour of the day or night.

Lunch comes to my office, and supper to my home (when I don't cook).

Dry cleaning? We'll pick it up! Books? Free delivery! New clothes, hardware supplies, puppies, fine wines: all can be had at your doorstep (for a price). And anything that takes more than 24 hours-- well, forget it. I can't wait that long (and nobody would expect me to).

This is awesome, if also baffling. I walk past hundreds of shops each day on my way to and from work. Nor, I suspect, is this avoidable in a city like New York; certainly it is de rigeur on Manhattan island. Why I could not pick up books at any of the three bookshops on the way, or clothing at any of dozens (hundreds?) of stores, or food at anything from the Grand Central Marketplace to specialty shops to grocery stores to restaurants, I don't know.

Moreover, it makes me wonder. To what extent does the culture of delivery play into a culture of acquisition? At first glance, it seems like the two should go hand-in-hand. But in fact, I'm much more likely to purchase something on a whim if I see it (walking past a bookstore or through a clothing shop, for example) than if I'm sitting at home. Indeed, I think this is true even when I'm sitting at home and I realize I need something.

But then again I wonder--is this just because I haven't gotten into the New York swing of things yet? I mean, I certainly do think things like, "Oh! I'm out of milk! I wish I had some" and "Oh man, I forgot to do my laundry!" and "Gosh, I need some #43 quarter-inch screws in order to make this awesome astrolabe which a friend sent to me." What I never think, though, is "I'd better call the grocer/cleaner/hardware store and have some milk/laundry boy/screws sent up!" And I guess I wonder: Do people--normal, you-and-me-type people--think that way in this city?

This city is a service industry unto itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home