29 September 2005

The Home Team

I've never lived in a city that liked the Yankees before. For (reasonably good) reasons of money and long-term dominance, they're universally hated (even if Boston does deserve nearly as much lambasting for the same reason). Do I think there should be NFL-style profit-sharing in the Major Leagues? Yes, absolutely. Do I wish these things were more of a contest, with fewer home runs, less power-hitting, fewer steroids, and a lot more smart play, self-sacrifice, and strategy? Absolutely. Am I a Yankees fan? You bet. And for a long time, I've been a Yankees fan in a land of Anybody-But-The-Yankees fans.

Imagine my consternation, then, when, standing outside a bar peering in so that I can see the scores (Cleveland lost - Boston is losing - Yankees are winning - what more could I ask?), I met a couple who were doing the same thing. And, more than that, they were equally pleased to see the various scores. What? Yankees fans? Amazing. We got into a conversation about the fact that the Yankees have closers but no middle order in the bullpen this season. We agonized about the previous game, a shameful 17-9 loss to Baltimore that went through eight Yankees pitchers who could do nothing but give up runs. We talked about bats vs. hurlers, and wondered about what size field would be best for a team like today's Yankees. It was great.

So that's what it's like to love the home team, eh?

(For the record, I like the Jacksonville Suns, and I spent my college career loving the Binghamton Mets. And, frankly, I even like minor league ball better than the MLB. But finding Yankees-lovers is something that will stay with me for a long, long time.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home